April 13, 2009

Easter in Nakuru

There are an estimated 250,000 street kids in Kenya: a quarter-million kids without steady food or schooling, often sick or addicted to drugs. About 60,000 of them are in Nairobi. So the rest of the country also needs caring, capable homes for these kids.



This weekend, I went to the Nakuru area, about 200 km northwest of Nairobi. Megan, another Ambassadorial Scholar in Nairobi, has been volunteering with the Joseph Waweru Home School and she invited me to join her for a visit.



It was helpful to see how other boys centers are run and I picked up a few ideas to bring back to the Emmanuel Center. For instance, the boys at JWHS are given many creative outlets and I'd like to introduce more arts and crafts at Emmanuel.


Custom Painted Bedrooms


Easter Egg Decorating

What is true of both centers is the feeling of family, between the boys and the staff. It's heartwarming to witness genuine affection and concern amongst boys who, before coming to the home, were strangers with shared experiences of abandonment, hunger and struggle.



What is also true for all homes for orphans and street kids is the need for funds. Rotary Club of Lakeview has generously donated $500 to the Emmanuel Boys Center and the club president has matched it with $500 out of her own pocket. That will cover private school fees for 4 boys for a full year!

Primary school student: $250/yr.
Secondary school student: $320/ yr.

If you'd like to sponsor a boy, I've made it really easy to do so. You can now find a paypal link on my blog which will allow you to send money to me. That way, once received, I can coordinate the sponsorship directly with you. I'll let you know which boy is being sponsored, organize pen pals, and send updates/pictures of the boys!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Thanks for posting! I'm still updating my pics but was so glad to share this with you, and I need to visit Emmanuel with you soon!ill