April 19, 2009

The End is Near

Classes are over. Shooting for the video is done. And the rainy season has started. All this means I’ve got a lot of time to reflect on my experience in the past 8 months.

A local Rotarian recently asked me what I’ve enjoyed about Kenya. And I found myself stumped. In a moment, I scanned my scrambled head for a singular favorite: weather, friendly people, food, landscape, culture? After my awkward “Uhh, the whole experience” response stumbled out of my mouth, I thought about why I don’t have a better answer.

Of course, there are plenty of things I like about Kenya. Sure, there are the banalities like food, weather and hospitality. The all-encompassing generalities like culture and attitude. And, to be fair, I’ve enjoyed things that are the less than noble, like the exchange rate. I could say all these things next time I’m asked. But the answer would be hollow, failing to capture the deep change and profound insights I’ve gained from this experience.

Being in Tanzania and Kenya has taught me more than any other travel has. Every day, I’ve had to choose whether to stay safely inside my comfort zone or venture outside it. I've battled with my insulated, privileged American outlook while proudly claiming our goodwill and leadership. I’ve learned that colonialism raped Africa’s past but too many Africans are letting it rob their future. And I’ve seen how those with food have many problems but those who don’t have only one.

Once I’m back in Chicago, I anticipate I’ll understand my African experience even better. I think I’ll see more of Kenya when I’m back in the US, appreciating the absence of things unnoticed now. An American living here told me going back the US is harder than coming to Kenya. Not only is there reverse culture shock but there’s the inevitability that friends and family can’t relate. “Some people treat it like you just came back from the supermarket.” That’s why I’m grateful my boyfriend will be here in less than a month. He’ll better understand where I’ve been and the readjustment I'll need to where I’m going.

No comments: