March 17, 2009

Learning the Hard Way



A lone cactus in the desert. An island in a wavy ocean. The wanderings of my mind in the margins of my Medical Sociology notebook.

Lectures are mind numbing. For 2 out of the 3 hours, the professor reads his notes, which the students then copy verbatim.

Lecturer: “It may seem reasonable to suppose…”
(Students begin frantic note taking)
Lecturer: “It may seem reasonable to suppose… It may seem reasonable to suppose…that people consult their doctors…”
Student: “Can you slow down?”
Lecturer: “It may seem reasonable to suppose that people consult their doctors… consult their doctors…”
Student: “Their?”
Lecturer: “Their doctors… when they experience symptoms… when they experience, what? When they experience symptoms.”

That is, without exaggeration, how a lecture carries on for hours. Some professors even point out where a comma should go or new paragraph should start. I know I’ve had the benefit of an exceptional education and I didn’t expect classes here to compare with those at Northwestern. But this is one of the best schools in East Africa? How can Kenyans compete out there when so little independent and critical thinking occurs in here?

Occasionally, the lecturer breaks from his repetitive recitations and opens up a discussion. This is usually when I stop detailing a palm tree. I’ve unexpectedly learned more about gender relations during medical sociology discussions than about -- Oh, I don’t know -- medical sociology.

Lecturer: “Women go to the hospital for everything!”
(Students chuckle)
Lecturer, imitating a “typical” woman: “Oh I cut my finger! I’m dying. Take me the hospital.”
(Students throw back their heads, laughing)
Female student: “But, you know, I don’t do that. I go to a doctor if it’s serious only.”
(Lecturer laughs)
Lecturer: “Eh? Okay, maybe. But, you know, it’s mostly men who don’t worry over such things. A day doesn't go by when you women aren't either a patient or a doctor.”

Male generalization of female behavior is not new to me. After studying in Korea and now Africa, I’m aware of the big wide paternalistic world out there. What struck me was the reaction of the female students. They laughed, nodding their heads in agreement, even offering their own examples of absurd female conduct. Cliché though it may be, women are too often their own worst enemy. Case in point: Kenyan women prefer male doctors to female doctors.

“Why?”
(The entire class looked at me like I just admitted I’d never heard Barack Obama.)
Female student: “Because women aren’t sensitive. Men listen, give you attention. Women doctors are harsh.”
Lecturer: “Yeah, that’s a fact. Okay. New paragraph. There are four aspects of symptoms… Four aspects of symptoms…”

1 comment:

atn19 said...

I really wish I'd taken classes more seriously when we were at Northwestern. Hindsight is always 20/20.