December 3, 2008

The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men

Before I left for Africa, a Rotarian told me something I will never forget: “With the scholarship money you’ve been awarded, Rotary could’ve built five water wells in Haiti. Prove that you’re worth five water wells.”

I still have a lot to do before I can come close to proving that. But one place that is not worthy of receiving the generous scholarship money is the University of Dar es Salaam. The student strike will end, I know, but the blatant neglect the university has shown for its students, foreign or otherwise, will not. So after much soul searching, brainstorming, and Lonely Planet-ing, I have decided to move to Zanzibar for the remainder of my scholarship term.

Starting in January, I will be taking Kiswahili language courses at the State University of Zanzibar in Stone Town. I went this weekend to check it out and decided it was the right choice. Zanzibar is the birthplace of Kiswahili. And the language institute is world-renown. It’s not what I set out to do but if I’ve learned nothing else here, it’s to be flexible. I don’t think it’s fair to complain about moving to Zanzibar, either. White sand beaches, ancient architecture, rich culture, island life… The financial crisis and snow plows seem a world away.

Until then, I will be volunteering in Nairobi, Kenya. The director of the Emmanuel Rescue Center asked me to join him in implementing some new programs, organizing a Christmas outing, and setting up scholarships for the boys.

My original plan:
1. Take graduate level courses in sociology at the University of Dar es Salaam
2. Produce a documentary about a project run by a Rotary club in Tanzania
3. Do freelance work for Voice of America

My current plan:
1. Take introductory level courses in Kiswahili at the State University of Zanzibar
2. Produce a promotional video for the Emmanuel Rescue Center in Kenya
3. Hope I’ll have any work when I return to Chicago.

No comments: